Skip to main content

First look at 'Landmarks'....

An initial ‘review’ of a book I've been looking forward to for some time...

Robert MacFarlane’s books have appeared on this blog regularly since it started, and featured in numerous teacher CPD sessions, and lessons with my students.

I’ve been looking forward to the latest book as it continues the exploration of landscape and the way that it is described in words that was a feature of previous books.
Regular readers will know that I used ‘The Old Ways’ and ‘The Living Mountain’ as a way of exploring the Cairngorms and developing mapskills using Digimap for Schools at the SAGT Conference a few years ago. I’ve also referenced books such as ‘Mountains of the Mind’ in my KS3 landscapes toolkit book ‘Look at it this Way’.

Landmarks starts by explaining that it is a book about “the power of language…. to shape our sense of place”.
Chapters on different types of ‘lands’ are interspersed with entries from what is called the ‘word hoard’: a collection of dialect words for landscape features, or for ephemeral relationships between the landscape and weather conditions or other external factors. Some are familiar, many are not, and make you want to go and seek them out.

As I’ve read the book, I’ve made many connections with my own travelling and reading over the years.

1.     The removal of nature words from the Oxford dictionary and their ‘replacement’ with technology words – mentioned this a few weeks ago, and it connects with our work to get young people outside through Mission:Explore.

2.     The influence of Barry Lopez. I first read ‘Arctic Dreams’ in 1987, ten years before Robert came across him while in Canada (I was in Hull at the time) – I agree that he is the greatest nature writer, and he also mentions the book that Lopez edited called ‘Home Ground: language for an American landscape’, which is a great book. I’ve read everything Lopez has published and he never disappoints. I used one section as an influence for a book I wrote a few years ago, and he also comes into my current writing.

3.     A mention for Tim Robinson’s incredible explorations in miniature of the islands off the coast of Ireland – another sequence I explored many years ago., after returning from visiting the area

4.     A mention for Jaquetta Hawke’s ‘The Land’ which was something I used in my teaching back in the 1990s. This is a book unlike any other…

5.     Homage paid to Hugh Miller for helping him to get ‘trilobite sight’ and understand geological time and how it changed the landscape. Last summer I was involved in preparing resources for, and building the website and social media surrounding a recreation of Hugh Miller’s voyage in ‘The Betsey’. A 2nd voyage is planned for the summer of 2015, continuing the journey that Miller made

6.     The glossary is full of books I read as a child or young adult, when I devoured books about landscapes and climbing. MacFarlane is describing, very often, my own experiences with those books, but he has the skill to articulate what I never did… These include the books of ‘BB’, Susan Cooper’s ‘The Dark is Rising’ sequence (still one of my very favourite books), Ronald Blythe, Roger Deakin, Tim Dee and the late Oliver Rackham.

All of these books sit on my shelves right now, and I look forward to having time to reacquaint myself with them.

7.     Another mention of course for John Muir, and our special John Muir trust version of Mission:Explore has had over 200 000 ‘views’ apparently we heard this week.

8.     Images are missing from the book – perhaps deliberately when it is a book about words, but I can see the landscapes that are mentioned, almost all of which I’ve also visited in my head, and also have pictures of them. Some of those I submitted to the OS PhotoFit competition. What better feeling would there be to see one of your own images on an Ordnance Survey map for thousands to buy and hold in their hand as they explore that part of Britain?

There are too many wonderful moments and vignettes to capture here, and I recommend that you get hold of a copy. I may well add the occasional ‘Landscape word of the day’ here for a while to keep the connection back to the book…


I am going to be seeing Robert talk about the book next week at the University of East Anglia, and will be adding my notes and observations from that next week.

Finally, in today's Guardian, I loved this cartoon by Tom Gauld which affectionately parodies the word-hoard to provide some additions, in the style of another old favourite of mine, from over 30 years ago now, and co-written by Douglas Adams: 'The Meaning of Liff'....

My current view from the window includes what Suffolk residents would call a grout...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert MacFarlane in the Cuillins

Starting later today is a new two part series on the Cuillin Hills of Skye . It is presented by Robert MacFarlane. It will, of course, be excellent, especially given the involvement of the three musicians that he mentions here. Hello––I made a two-part @BBCRadio4 programme abt Skye's Cuillin Ridge, all recorded in situ. First ep goes out this Tuesday at 16.00hrs. Would love it to find ears! Prod by @HelenNeedham , w/ a new song by @juliefowlis , @DuncanWChisholm , @ShawDonald & me. https://t.co/9ReravY19T — Robert Macfarlane (@RobGMacfarlane) September 18, 2023 In this two part series, we accompany the writer and mountaineer Robert Macfarlane on his attempt to complete the Cuillin Ridge. This expedition marks twenty years since his first book 'Mountains of the Mind' in which he tries to understand the human fascination with mountains. Along the way, he muses on the ways in which these particular mountains have been explored imaginatively and in reality. The reality fo

AONBs are now called National Landscapes

  From today, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty are now called 'National Landscapes'. This is another change which will impact on many printed resources / textbooks / websites and resources that are under construction which focus on landscape management. This site has a nice interactive map of the 46 areas but currently has the old name. Check the website for more details. Welcome to National Landscapes – a new chapter in the story of designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs) in England and Wales. Find out more at https://t.co/LZpHYAkvmq 1/5 pic.twitter.com/j4XIkjV0v5 — National Landscapes Association (@NatLandAssoc) November 22, 2023 Some nice graphics on the Twitter feed - check the thread today to kick start the new association and name.  From the site: The new name reflects their national importance: the vital contribution they make to protect the nation from the threats of climate change, nature depletion and the wellbeing crisis, whilst also creating grea

Coastwise in North Norfolk

  One of our local papers had a story on a project called Coastwise. There is more detail on the project here. A video explaining the scheme, which is described as a coastal transition. Over the next 100 years, it is predicted that over 1,000 homes will be lost to erosion in North Norfolk. Erosion will impact whole communities by threatening businesses, roads, footpaths, and utilities such as sewage, water and electricity. It will also affect our wellbeing, beach access and heritage assets such as churches, lighthouses, listed buildings, and much more. The consequences of erosion are profound and require advanced planning to transition to being more prepared. Coastwise will involve working together in North Norfolk to develop nationally useful practical actions, plans and policy, funding and finance options. Action needs to be taken now to explore how local authorities, communities, individuals, and national government can best work together to prepare and plan for coastal erosion. Th